Monday, May 25, 2009

Arizona driving tour, day five (part two)

Well, I'm already back from vacation but still have a few more days to cover. Hopefully I'm not boring anyone to tears with my little slide show--I assure you, the best is yet to come.

Bisbee, Arizona, is built among the hills of the Mule Mountains in Southern Arizona, just a few miles from the Mexican border. Notice the stairs winding up the side of the hill. Apparently they have an annual stair climb. If I had realized I wouldn't have been trespassing I might have tried checking them out a little more closely--at the least they probably afford a nice view.

The town is mostly comprised of antique shops, restaurants, and museums dedicated to Bisbee's history as a copper mining town. Then of course there are some empty storefronts that I can't really explain.

Not sure which is creepier--the mannequin or the bust.


I noticed some cool graffiti around town.

But it seems that not everyone thinks it's so cool. (Nice bathroom door, by the way.)

I love the look of these faded painted signs on the brick. (Even though Pepsi is the inferior cola!)

Here we are behind Cafe Roka, one of the more upscale restaurants in town. I love the pointing hand, which is employed by many businesses in Bisbee on their signage.

I like the silver doors.

Some interesting statues overlooking the entranceway to somebody's house. They're probably hippies or something (the people who live there, not the statues).

It sure is awesome.
Some interesting sculptures outside the city park.

Inside the park--which seems to be comprised of giant game boards. I did not play human checkers while there but it was tempting.

Not really sure what game this is for but I like it.


So as I mentioned before, Bisbee's chief source of industry from its inception in the early 1900s to the 1970s was copper mining. Upon driving out of Old Bisbee on Rt. 80 you immediately come upon the incredible sights of the Lavender Pit, the former location of the open pit copper mine.

Not sure about that gross-looking puddle though.

No comments:

Post a Comment