Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Mystery plant identified

When Dave's mom asked us what plants we wanted her to buy for us at the Master Gardeners fair (we were going to be out of town that weekend), one of our main requests was for cilantro. I love the flavor (especially in black bean tacos), but at the grocery store you have to buy so much of it that you can't possibly use it all before it goes bad. So being able to pick a handful at a time from a live plant seemed like a very good idea.

Unfortunately, whatever she bought did not look like any cilantro I had ever seen (though it was, in her defense, labeled as such). Perplexedly, we watched it shoot up, towering over the rest of the plants, wondering what we were going to do with it. Finally, after doing some wikipedia research (haha), I realized it was a coriander plant. Of course, I still didn't really know what to do with it. Then it occurred to me that I should pick the seeds and try to roast them and grind them into coriander powder. Obviously.

So, I set out picking a few clumps of seeds here and there and putting them in this jar. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, but it sure looks pretty in the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment