Monday, February 23, 2009

Plants in jars

I've been suffering from a case of premature spring fever. I cannot wait for the weather to warm up so I can go for walks on my lunch break, go swimming, and partake in various other outdoor activities. Unfortunately for me, I think I've still got another month and a half before temperatures really start to rise. I have also developed a recent fixation on terrariums, for which I blame on my lust for summer.

Now, I'm not much of a plant person--in fact, I have none in my house whatsoever. But I get the impression that something like this would be fairly low maintenance, and I'd have a little bit of green to look at everyday.


I found these beautiful terrariums from Made By Mavis:





But I think I will make my own. Part of what I like about this idea is that you can use just about any type of glass vessel: mason jars, apothecary jars, fish bowls, and the like. They sell all of the above at craft stores like Michael's, but it would be fun to find something especially unique at a flea market or thrift store (that's another thing: I can't wait for the flea markets to open up again!)--perhaps something like this vintage mushroom shaped jar that Mudpuppy is offering up:


He also has these adorable ceramic mushrooms and owls that can be used to decorate your little ecosystem:



So I guess it's settled: I am off to buy some plants, dirt, and glass containers (among other things) this weekend (or maybe the next one--the cold has turned me into a bit of a shut-in). For those inclined to join me, online tutorials can be found here, here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment