About six months ago I had posted something about the Bauhaus exhibit at MoMA that was going on over the winter, and how I was inspired to make a rug modeled after a particular wall hanging by Anni Albers. This is the tapestry in question:
Six months later, I'm happy to report that I've finally finished the rug.
Not quite as many different shades involved here as in the original, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.
Now for a closer look--don't mind all the wrinkles. I need to get a rug pad to keep it from moving around every time I step on it. If you're thinking you might want to invest some time into doing something similar, I did it by essentially knitting eight different scarves using seed stitch, and then sewing the scarves together. The cotton yarn wasn't too expensive either. Though I wasn't keeping track of how many skeins I ended up buying, the project probably cost me about $50.