Monday, June 28, 2010

Blue Hill Farms

Somehow I stumbled upon the website of Blue Hill Farms, and wondered where Pocantico Hills, NY, was. Somewhere up in the Hudson Valley, I figured, maybe a few hours away. Then I looked it up on a map and realized it was only about 30 minutes away from me, in Westchester County. On Saturday I finally made it up there.

Blue Hill at Stone Barns is a working farm and educational center with two restaurants on the grounds, both of which are stocked with food grown on the farm. We saw cows grazing in the fields and roosters walking around the parking lot, which was fun though not the most exciting part.

We'd of course come for the food. There is one formal sit-down restaurant, and another less formal cafe (we of course went to the latter). There we enjoyed a blueberry muffin, a peanut butter cookie, a slice of sweet potato pizza, potato salad with greens, and some kind of whole grain and squash salad. Dave couldn't resist trying a jar of their pickles as well (see above). All told, the place is a bit pricey, and you don't get the hugest portions for your money--including the pickles we spent about $25 and I did not really feel particularly full upon leaving. But everything was delicious. I'd definitely go back--if I lived a bit closer I could see myself falling into the habit of stopping by for coffee and scones every weekend. (Sigh.)

2 comments:

  1. Is that chicken about to cross the road? LOL! This place reminds me of Baugher's Farm in Maryland. I don't know if its still around but when I lived there as a kids we would go there for lunch. It was a treat because it was pricey but good. They also had a market in a barn that you could get home grown goodies at. The sweet potato pizza you mentioned sounds good, how was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a pretty similar place. The sweet potato pizza was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete