Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Not quite invisible bookshelves

Awhile back, I'd bookmarked this insanely simple and cheap DIY project: invisible bookshelves. This particular approach is even simpler than the ones you typically see, in that it doesn't involve ruining a book by actually screwing it into the bottom of the shelf. As a result, they're not actually invisible, but that doesn't really bother me.

A couple weeks ago I bought a collection of paperback books whose covers were illustrated by Edward Gorey, and decided that I needed a way to display them properly. One trip to the hardware store and $6 later, I was screwing a set of 4-inch L-brackets into the wall.

They'll be a little more invisible once I add another book to the stack--I just need to find a few more Gorey designs. I know they're out there!

Here's a
flickr set of Gorey paperbacks for your viewing pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! My downstairs neighbor & friend just told me last week that she was making an invisible bookshelf. It sounds like the same process you used. I'm going to have to send her a link to your post! I think they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete