Thursday, December 10, 2009

New plants for the window

With so many large windowsills, I've been wanting to fill the apartment with lots of new plants. A couple of weeks ago I went back to Sprout Home and bought a few (though I still want more!).

For starters there's this lovely jade plant, though it doesn't actually fit into the planter I had intended it for. I think I'm going to get some rocks for the bottom since the planter doesn't have any holes for drainage, and then re-pot the whole thing. The second one is the same Haworthia that I've had since the summer.

I also bought an aloe plant, and then on a whim, a venus fly trap.

I've been wanting a carnivorous plant for a little while now. Not sure why but there's just something awesome about a plant that eats bugs. I didn't realize until after purchasing it that they're a little finicky. For one, they require distilled water--no plain old tap water for this guy. I had been thinking I would need to go to a pet store and buy some crickets to feed it but I'm relieved to find that they don't actually need bugs to survive. They're just kind of like vitamins for them. So hopefully my plant just happens upon some pesky flies the old-fashioned way.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the Venus Flytraps. They're a lot of fun. They are a bit finicky and seem to thrive best in terrariums, though, due to all of the humidity.

    ReplyDelete