Thursday, July 2, 2009

Elephant's Trunk finds

Even after the excitement of the estate sale on Saturday, I was not quite feeling satisfied, so I woke up early on Sunday too (8:30--a little later at least) and headed out to the Elephant's Trunk flea market. About halfway through the flea, I spotted a Bertoia chair in the distance. It was white with black legs and the white part was kind of yellowed (though not rusty, which was a plus). But the dealer wanted $100 for it and he kind of rubbed me the wrong way--first he said "It's a Bertoia" in a tone of voice that implied that he didn't think I had any idea of what I was looking at. For $100 I want a chair that isn't all discolored and gross-looking, and I definitely don't want to be giving my $100 to a jerk.

I instead came home with this beautiful teak midcentury chair (sold to me by a much nicer lady)--not that I have anywhere to put it.

Other than the fact that it needs a new cushion, it is in really great shape. The wood is in beautiful condition, and the construction feels solid.

It had been placed out without the cushion, and I can see why. Even if the fabric weren't completely separated from the cushion I would be looking to reupholster it because it is totally hideous. Now I just have to figure out what kind of fabric will perfectly complement it. The dealer suggested black leather, which I'm not so sure about.

I also picked up this glass dome. I don't know why, but I've been wanting one of these for awhile for displaying things. I like the cabinet of curiosities aesthetic. It would also make a pretty nifty terrarium.

No comments:

Post a Comment