Monday, September 20, 2010

Around Providence, RI

I've been traveling around New England the past few days, on one last road trip of the summer (actually I guess it's been the only one unless you count day trips). Our first stop was Providence, Rhode Island, where we ate falafel at East Side Pockets, bought records at Armageddon Shop, some books at my new favorite store Ada Books (plus browsing at a few other shops), and were pleasantly surprised by a delicious dinner at AS220 (who knew).

No idea what this place was--might just be an old sign.

Some very nice graffiti on an old door.

A boxcar diner near our hotel.

Dave taking pictures of himself ad infinitum in the elevator in our hotel. (All above photos by Dave as well.)

I didn't get a chance to take any pictures of it (these are stolen from the internet) but we did something a bit uncharacteristic for us and stayed in a kind of fancy hotel. Opened in 1922, the Biltmore (seen above, obviously) is a Beaux-arts style building that was designed by the same architecture firm that designed Grand Central Station in Manhattan.

Here's a shot of the rather grand staircase in the lobby. Our bed was huge and there were more pillows than you could possibly need (Dave told me he woke up in the middle of the night to see that a pillow had fallen on my head while I was sleeping) but other than that it didn't seem like that much of a step up from your typical hotel, other than the historic architecture. There's a Starbucks and a Red Door spa inside the building if that's your thing, but for us we probably could have skipped it. Regardless, it was nice to try something different, and we were able to walk to AS220 for dinner (again, really good food--last time I was there they did not have a restaurant, and I was a little bit skeptical about having dinner in a punk venue, but I'm really glad we gave it a try anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment