Monday, September 27, 2010

Maine has a lot of rocks

As usual, I slacked a little in the week following my vacation, but now I'm ready to show you lots of pictures, many of which involve rocks.

On day two, we drove up to Portland, Maine, and our very first stop was at the Eastern Promenade, which affords lovely views of Casco Bay. We walked along the rocks for a ways, which was a nice way to start off the afternoon.

I love the texture of the rocks here.

Someone very smart drew in some teeth and an eye.

Sailboats in the water. Not pictured is the party boat where a bad pop punk band was playing a show at 2:00 in the afternoon. As all of those types of bands do for some reason, they ended their set with a bad cover (Richard Marx, I think).

Until about a minute ago, I had thought this was a leftover sign from this year, but I now see that it's a section of a World War I poster encouraging Maine residents to "Eat More Potatoes and save the wheat. Every potato you eat is a bullet fired point blank at a made-in-Germany peace." (Which makes sense, since it's on the side of the Maine historical society building.) You can see the whole poster here.

The rest of the day was spent eating whoopie pies, buying books and records and an awesome shirt from Ferdinand, and eating not so good pizza. (Maine knows how to do whoopie pies, but pizza, not so much. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.)

No comments:

Post a Comment