Sunday, March 22, 2009

Paper boats

I work in publishing, and one of the imprints I handle puts out the occasional craft book--which results in occasional crafting on the job. The other day was one such occasion. I don't want to divulge too much, but it involved making a paper boat and bunting. I then remembered about the paper boat garland I had posted about the other week, which is kind of a combination of the two things. I had also been noticing how the area above my living room window was kind of bare.

These various thoughts all came together in the above paper boat garland.


I cut out some pages from old issues of Readymade (their paper is more of a matte finish, as opposed to glossy, which I like).


It made for a nice variety of color and images. I liked how I was never really sure of what it was going to look like when I started folding.



The one on the end actually looks like it has port holes, which I hadn't even thought of when I cut out the picture of a laundromat-turned-screen printing shop in L.A.


If you too want to make your own paper boats, a handy video tutorial is available here.

No comments:

Post a Comment