Sunday, April 26, 2009

House tour: bathroom

Since we're renters, we don't have much of a choice about most of the bathroom features. We can't change the tile, the fixtures, the cabinets, the mirror (well, I guess we could change the mirror and put the old one back upon moving out, but we haven't). Thus, most of the room isn't show-off-worthy, but there are still a few small personal touches worth noting.

I made the shower curtain last year and was pretty happy with how it turned out. In hindsight I wish I had waited to find the perfect fabric (I like this one but I could have found one I loved if I hadn't just bought something at the first store I went to) but it was so easy to do that I'm fine with just making another one at some point down the road when I feel like giving the bathroom a makeover. (Considering how small the room is, a new shower curtain does make for quite a transformation.)

After making the curtain I decided a new bathmat was in order so I bought some cotton yarn that more or less matched the curtain and knitted myself a nice striped rug. It works pretty well and washes easily, although it doesn't dry very quickly (hence the wet spots leftover from someone's morning shower).

I can't leave the beach without picking up a few shells or rocks. I've placed a few of them in the windowsill, though I'm not sure if that's too old ladyish.

An arty picture taken using the mirror.

I love our rubber animals--especially the fish, who lights up and starts flashing different colors when he gets wet. It makes bathtime feel like a rave. (Not that I've ever been to a rave.)

I bought this Polyester poster about nine years ago and have been hanging it above toilets for nearly that whole time. It's become a bit of a tradition for me.

I bought this photograph at a thrift store in Austin, and have also been hanging it in my bathroom ever since. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I think mine is the one all the way to the left. I've been trying to figure out her name from her bowling shirt but it's a bit hard to read--I'm guessing Marie, although it could also say Nonie.

No comments:

Post a Comment