Sunday, April 12, 2009

House tour: computer/record room

I wasn't really sure what to call this room: the record room or the computer room? While yes, it is the room in which our non-portable computer (that is, our least favorite since you can't use it while lying on the couch) is housed, it is also the room where we store our many thousands of records. So it's both, really.

It might be one of the narrowest rooms I've ever seen, so I think we've done a pretty good job of making the most of the space. The round rugs were the perfect solution to the irregularly shaped area we wanted to cover.

The corner desk is also a good space-saving solution.


Two of our coolest posters, right next to each other--an original silkscreened Screamers flyer with the iconic Gary Panter graphic, and reel to reel print from the Post Family.

When I saw this metal TV tray at a junk shop in Salt Lake City, I immediately thought of this project for a magnetic bulletin board, which I'd come across on some blog or another not too long before. It worked perfectly.


I was pretty excited when I found out about the Charles and Ray Eames postage stamps that came out last year, so I made Dave pick up a sheet of them at the post office (apparently he was given weird looks). It looks great next to our robot, purchased at the inimitable Toy Joy.

I have a bit of a weakness for robots. This one kindly sharpens your pencils for you, which then winds him up and sends him on an awkward walk across the desk.


The narrowness of the room prevents me from getting a good shot of the whole record shelf, but nearly all of the spaces in this guy are filled up (mine just take up the bottom shelf), with the rest occupied by various toy record players and the Dave's favorite green Bisley cabinet (perfect for storing flyers and other bits of ephemera).


More records.


One of my favorite sections of the room. The tentacle was another great find in Salt Lake, at the store Frosty Darling. It can be purchased online here. I've got all of my movie-themed paperbacks in the awesome spring-coiled bookend (it uncoils further as you load more books in) that I got on eBay.

An incredible poster for one of my favorite movies.


The old library card catalog was a great flea market find, which Dave has used to store his cassette tapes. I spruced it up a bit with different colored labels.


And finally, another lightswitch plate that I made using an image from one of my other favorite movies. 'Cause who doesn't love Little Edie?

No comments:

Post a Comment