Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Better than Dharma brand peanut butter cups

Every Wednesday night Dave and I watch Lost at his brother's apartment, and it has become somewhat of a ritual to come up with exciting dinner and/or dessert ideas each week. This time Dave had the inspired idea to make peanut butter cups. We found a pretty simple recipe online, bought a few supplies we were missing, and then...


I'm not linking to the original recipe as the measurements seemed slightly amiss (hint: I ran out of chocolate after one layer). Here's what I ended up going with:

1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup* + 3 tbsp creamy peanut butter
paper cupcake liners
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch fine sea salt
*actually, I don't really know the measurements as I just finished off the jar I had but I know it's a little more than 1/2 a cup

Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave. I put mine in for 30 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval, till they were nice and melted. Stir in the 3 tbsp peanut butter, then set aside a few minutes to cool off. Spread 1/2 tsp of the melted chocolate into the bottom and sides of the paper liners. Put them in the fridge.

Meanwhile, combine the rest of the peanut butter with the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Once the chocolate in the fridge has hardened a bit, add the peanut butter mixture, evenly distributing over all 12 of the cups. Carefully press the peanut butter down with the back of a spoon. Add 1 tsp of melted chocolate to the tops of each cup, spreading it around so that none of the peanut butter is showing. Put back in the fridge until solid enough to eat. The freezer would probably be even better.


It ends up looking kind of like a peanut butter and chocolate sandwich, which is okay with me. I think if I tried this again I might like to add some graham cracker crumbs to the peanut butter to vary the texture of the filling from the chocolate. But no complaints here on the current result.

No comments:

Post a Comment