Sunday, May 24, 2009

Arizona driving tour, day four (and part of five)

One of the things I've been most excited to see, and which is probably an everyday, mundane sight to most Arizonans, is all of the cacti.

This is in Saguaro National Park in Tucson, but they are growing just like this on the side of the highways, in people's front yards, etc.

Not sure what the little stone building is for.

Other than for graffiti, that is.

Look closely at the cactus on the right.


Yes, it has been tagged.


Apparently a lot of early Westerns were filmed here. You can just see John Wayne coming over the hill. Now I think I need to rent The Searchers or something. I also want to buy a small cactus for the house. Or maybe some succulents.

Speaking of the Old West...the next morning we headed down to Bisbee, and our route took us right through Tombstone, the site of the infamous gunfight at the OK Corral. So we of course had to stop and check it out.



I did not walk where they fell, as it cost money to enter and I didn't really feel like coughing it up. Of note is that the video they were showing on the history of the OK Corral was narrated by Vincent Price. Hmm.


I like the lettering on this entrance to the park in Tombstone (which is actually very tiny, contrary to what this photo suggests).

No comments:

Post a Comment