Friday, May 22, 2009

Arizona driving tour, day three

After leaving the Grand Canyon we headed down to Tucson to visit some friends, making a stopover in Phoenix along the way (since we had to drive right through there anyway). After eating some tasty enchiladas at Carolina's we decided to check out Roosevelt Row, Phoenix's "arts district."



I say "arts district" in quotes because I find that usually when a city claims to have such a thing, it's totally disappointing, more like your grandmother's idea of art than mine. But I was pleasantly surprised to find a really cool neighborhood with galleries and studios and other spaces that actually looked interesting.

We saw this brightly colored building from a distance and decided to explore further. It looks like all of the galleries and stores in the space have closed down but they left behind some cool stuff for the time being.

One wonders what the ticket booths were for.


It's kind of like an artist's ghost town. I like the Mondrian bulletin board.

The empty frame on the wall is pretty cool. In hindsight I wish I had drawn something inside it. But then I guess that would be graffiti, which is illegal.


This might be my favorite photo of the building. I guess it's the name of the space but you could infer something else from it. I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment