Thursday, May 7, 2009

Yee-Haw Industries appreciation

On the one semi-nice day this week I took a walk to Greenwich Letterpress on my lunch break in search of a Mother's Day card. Well, that was more of the excuse I came up with for going--a trip there is always just as much for me as it is for the people I'm shopping for.

They had a pretty good selection of Mother's Day cards but none of them seemed right for my own mom. Then I saw this card, a simple image of a lily, and immediately knew it was the one. (By the way, if anyone is worried that I am ruining the surprise for my mother, I'm not sure that she even knows what a blog is, never mind that I have one.)

Then I spotted this ampersand print and was instantly smitten, so I picked up a little something for myself too. It's only fair.

Later on I noticed that both of the cards were made by Yee-Haw Industries, a print shop in Knoxville, Tennessee, whose work I've been coveting for some time. So I thought I'd post a few of my favorite selections from their etsy store (where they are selling hundreds of beautiful paper products that I must exercise strong willpower to resist spending all my money on).

I am in love with this poster from an exhibit at the Knoxville Museum of Art, hand typeset from hundreds of metal letterpress dingbats and icons. The amount of detail is astonishing.

I kind of wish I'd seen this calendar earlier on in the year. It's pretty great. Not that the calendar I did buy isn't great too--it just doesn't quite have the same intensity.


Some lovely farmer's market cards (quite similar to the lily card I bought). I love the tiny strawberry.

In addition to the antique wood type aesthetic they also have a lot of folk art inspired prints made from woodcuts. Pretty impressive considering this thing had to be carved as a mirror image, and the subject matter is perfect for the medium and style.

And really, who wouldn't want these valentines?

Yes, I do think I see more Yee-Haw Industries products in my future. I just need to conjure more wall space.

No comments:

Post a Comment